Eufaula Light Artillery
Eufaula Light Artillery was organized in February,
1862, at Eufaula, Alabama, and contained men from Barbour and
adjoining counties. After fighting at Tazewell and Murfreesboro
it was assigned to T.J. Stanfords and J.W. Eldridges
Battalion of Artillery, Army of Tennessee. The unit served with
the army from Chickamauga to Atlanta, then moved with Hood to
Tennessee. During January, 1865, it was sent to Mobile and attached
to the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana.
This company reported 3 wounded and 2 missing at Murfreesboro
and 6 killed at Chickamauga. It totalled 102 effectives in April,
1864, and surrendered with about 80 in May, 1865. Captains John
W. Clark and McDonald Oliver were in command.
This command was organized at Eufaula, Feb. 26,
1862, and was composed of men from Barbour and adjoining counties--262
rank and file. Equipped with six guns, the battery joined the
Army of Tennessee, and participated in its campaigns and operations
till the end, losing 48 men killed and wounded, and 36 by disease.
It was surrendered at Meridian, Miss.
Captains--John W. Clark; resigned. W. A. McTyere;
resigned. M. D. Oliver; killed at Atlanta. William J. McKenzie.
Lieutenants--W. A. McTyere; promoted. M. D. Oliver;
promoted. W. J. McKenzie; promoted. W. H. Woods; F. M. Caldwell.