5th Infantry Battalion Volunteers
5th Infantry Battalion was formed near Dumfries,
Virginia, in December, 1861, with men from Sumner, Calhoun, and
Mobile counties. Composed of six companies it was known as the
8th Battalion prior to October 22, 1862. The unit was assigned
to Wigfall's, then Archer's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia,
and was active from the Seven Days' Battles to Chancellorsville.
It went to Gettysburg with 135 men and more than thirty percent
were disabled. The battalion was soon reduced to three companies
and placed on provost duty in A.P. Hill's 3rd Corps. In September,
1864, it totaled 159 effectives and surrendered with 125. Lieutenant
Colonels F.B. Shepherd and H.H. Walker, and Major A.S. Van de
Graaff were its commanders.