(Colvin's) Calvary Regiment
6th Cavalry Regiment was organized at Pine Level,
Alabama, during the spring of 1863. It contained men from Montgomery,
Coffee, Tallapoosa, Pike, Barbour, Macon, Henry, and Coosa counties.
The unit was brigaded under General Clanton, served for a time
in Florida, then in August became part of the garrison at Montgomery.
Later it was attached to Armstrong's command and saw action in
various conflicts during the Atlanta Campaign. In August, 1864,
the regiment returned to Clanton's Brigade and fought at Bluff
Springs, Florida, and in southern Alabama. With less than 200
men it was included in the surrender of the Department of Alabama,
Mississippi, and East Louisiana. Its commanders were Colonel C.H.
Colvin, Lieutenant Colonel Washington T. Lary, and Major E.A.
This regiment was organized near Pine Level,
early in 1863, as part of Gen. Clanton's brigade. It was first
engaged near Pollard, with a column of the enemy that moved out
from Pensacola. Ordered then to north Alabama, the Sixth was concerned
in several skirmishes, near Decatur, with small loss. During the
Atlanta-Dalton campaign the regiment served for several weeks
as part of Ferguson's and Armstrong's brigades, and lost quite
a number. A portion of the regiment resisted Rousseau at Ten Islands,
losing a number killed and captured. Transferred to west Florida,
the Sixth fought Steele's column at Bluff Spring, under orders
from Col. Armstead, and its loss was severe, especially in prisoners.
The remnant fought Gen. Wilson's column, and laid down their arms