7th Alabama Infantry

Wood's (Sterling A.) Regiment
A. Lafayette Guards
B. Calhoun Grays
C. Cherokee Grays Guards
D. Madison Rifles
E. Hampton Smith Rifles
K. Florence Guards

Roster
(Surnames)
 

A-F

G-M

N-Z


The 7th Alabama Infantry was organized at Pensacola, 18 May 1861, with 8 infantry and 2 mounted companies. It was composed of companies that had rendezvoused at that place from the counties of Autauga, Barbour, Butler, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Dallas, Jackson, Lauderdale, Madison, Montgomery, Pike, and Wilcox. It remained on duty there until November when it was ordered to Chattanooga, and then a month later, it was sent to Bowling Green. It was in a temporary brigade under Col. S. A. M. Wood, and it fell back with the army to Corinth. The time of service of most of the companies expired after 12 months during the first week in April, 1862, and the regiment disbanded. However, the two mounted companies from Autauga and Lauderdale retained their organization and fought at Shiloh, as did other men from the regiment. The mounted companies then became part of the 3rd Alabama Cavalry, and the majority of the remaining men and officers joined other organizations.

Previous Page