Hilliard's Legion, organized at Montgomery, Alabama,
in June, 1862, contained almost 3,000 men. It was composed of
five battalions, but one mounted battalion soon became part of
the 10th Confederate Cavalry Regiment. Its artillery arm was detached
and re-designated the Barbour Light Artillery. The legion was
assigned to General Gracie's Brigade, served at Cumberland Gap,
then fought at Chickamauga where it lost forty-five percent of
the 902 engaged. In November, 1863, it was dissolved. Parts of
the 1st and 3rd Battalions formed the 60th Alabama Regiment, and
the 2nd and 4th Battalions became the 59th Alabama Regiment. Three
companies of the 1st Battalion formed the 23rd Alabama Battalion
Sharpshooters. Its colonels were Henry W. Hilliard and Jack Thorington.
The 1st Battalion was commanded by Lieutenant Colonels John H.
Holt and Jack Thorington, and Major Daniel S. Troy; the 2nd Battalion
by Lieutenant Colonel Bolling Hall, Jr. and Major William T. Stubblefield;
the 3rd Battalion by Lieutenant Colonel John W. A. Sanford and
Major Hatch Cook; and the 4th Battalion by Majors John D. McLennen
and William N. Reeves.