Appeal Light Artillery was organized and sent east of the Mississippi River in the spring of 1862. The unit sustained 6 casualties in the conflicts at Corinth and Hatchie bridge, then was assigned to Hebert's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. It endured the hardships of the siege of Vicksburg and was captured on July 4, 1863. Exchanged and reorganized, the company was placed in W. W. Mackall's and W. D. Blocher's Battalion, Trans-Mississippi Department, and was often called the 5th Arkansas Field Battery or 5th Battery Mounted. It served in Arkansas and was at Marshall, Texas, on June 1, 1865. Captains William N. Hogg and Christopher C. Scott were in command.