McCown's-Hubbard's-Thrall's Battery (also called Jackson County Light Artillery) was formed at Little Rock, Arkansas, in May 1861, and soon moved east of the Mississippi River. After fighting at Shiloh the unit was assigned to the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana and was active in the siege of Jackson. Later it was attached to Forrest's Cavalry Corps, participated in the conflicts at Brice's Cross Roads and Harrisburg, then saw action in Tennessee. During 1865 it aided in the defense of Mobile and surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana. Its captains were G. T. Hubbard, John P. McCown and James C. Thrall.