Carroll's Cavalry Regiment (also called 1st and 2nd Regiment) was organized during the early summer of 1861. The unit served in the Army of Arkansas, then the Trans-Mississippi Department, and participated in the battles at Wilson's Creek, Prairie Grove, Springfield, and Devil's Backbone. In September 1863, it was reorganized and became Gordon's Arkansas Cavalry Regiment. Its commanders were Colonels Charles A. Carroll and Lee L. Thompson, and Lieutenant Colonel J. A. Johnston.