Organized initially in July, 1861 with eight companies as the 3rd Arkansas Infantry Battalion and increasing this unit to regimental strength on December 3, 1861. Commanded by Colonel Dandridge McRae of Searcy; field officers were Lt. Col. Squire Boone, Lt. Col. (later Colonel) James H. Hobbs, and Major William Thompson. Company commanders were Co. A, Cpt. Morris Hobbs, Co. B, Cpt. J.B. Cooper of of Benton County; Co. C, Cpt. S.B. Buchanan of Washington County; Co. D, Cpt. Caleb Davis of Pope County; Co. E, Cpt. Hallowell of Yell County; Co. F, Cpt. Knott of Franklin County; Co. G, Cpt Douglas of Benton County. The regiment was initially assigned to Gen. Ben McCulloch's division near Fayetteville in December 1861, and subsequently to Hebert's Brigade, where it fought at Wilson's Creek and in the battle of Pea Ridge on March 7-8, 1862. Moved with the Army of the West to Corinth, Mississippi in April, 1862, participating in the Corinth campaign in April through June of that year, and fought at Farmington, Iuka, and Corinth. Reorganized on May 8, 1862. Reorganized and renamed as the 15th Northwest Arkansas Regiment (Hobb's-Boone's) in February, 1863
Assigned to Green's Brigade, of Bowen's Division, where it fought in the battles of the Vicksburg campaign that spring and summer. The regiment was engaged at the battle's of Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Champion Hill, and the Big Black River. Besieged with the garrison of Vicksburg from May 21 to July 4, 1863, and surrendered with that strongpoint on July 4, 1863. Paroled at Vicksburg late in July, 1863, and the unit disbanded with many of its survivors being incorporated along with those of the 14th, 16th, and 21st Arkansas into the 1st Infantry Regiment, Consolidated, in January, 1864. The new regiment was placed into a new brigade under Colonel (now Brigadier General ) McRae, where it served throughout the Red River Campaign.
Also Known As: 15th (Northwest) Arkansas Infantry; Hobb's-Boone's Infantry Regiment