4th Arkansas Infantry Battalion




Organized with four companies at Little Rock on November 10, 1861 and assigned to the defenses of Columbus, KY and subsequently to Island No. 10 near New Madrid, Missouri. Company D was detached at Island No. 10, given charge of a battery of heavy guns and reorganized as Company H, 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery. Company D was captured at the fall of Island No. 10 on Apr. 6-7, 1862, and exchanged later that summer, where they manned the water batteries at Vicksburg with the rest of the 10th Tennessee Artillery, and were surrendered again with the Vicksburg garrison after the siege of that place. The remainder of the battalion was stationed at Tiptonville at the time and managed to escape by wading through the river's overflow to the transport Jeff Davis, on which they floated in the dark down to Fort Pillow, TN. At Corinth, the battalion was reorganized under Maj. T.F. Murff, and participated in the Corinth Campaign from April through June of that year. Participated in battles of Richmond, KY in August 1862. In December, 1862, reassigned to McNair's Brigade, McCown's Division where it fought in the battles of Stones River (Dec. 31, 1862-Jan 3, 1863), the siege of Jackson MS in July, 1863; Chickamauga (Sep 19-20, 1863); Siege of Chattanooga (Sep.-Nov. 1863); the Atlanta Campaign, Dug Gap, Resaca, New Hope Church, Kennesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Ezra Church, the siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro, and Lovejoy's Station. Consolidated with the 4th and 34th Arkansas Infantry in the summer of 1863. Reassigned to D.H. Hill's Brigade for Hood's Tennessee Campaign where it fought at Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville. Engaged in the Carolinas Campaign in early 1865, and at the last battle of the Army of Tennessee at Bentonville on March 19-21, 1865. Survivors were apparently consolidated along with those of the 4th, 9th, and 25th Arkansas Infantry and the 1st and 2nd Arkansas Mounted Rifles regiments and renamed as the 1st Mounted Rifles Consolidated Regiment at Smithfield, NC on April 9th, 1865. Surrendered two weeks later with LTG Joe Johnston's Army of Tennessee near Durham, North Carolina.

Officers: Lt. Col. Francis A. Terry; Maj. John McKay; Maj. Jesse A. Ross

Previous Page