7th Cavalry Regiment
7th Cavalry Regiment was formed in October, 1862,
by consolidating the 4th North Carolina Battalion Partisan Rangers
and seven independent Georgia cavalry companies. It served in
the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia, then in
J. Dearing's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. The regiment
saw action at Rodman's Point, Reed's Ferry, Quaker Bridge, New
Bern, and Swift Creek, then fought on the Bermuda Hundred front.
On July 11, 1864, it was ordered to disband. Part transferred
to the 10th Georgia Cavalry and part to the 16th Battalion North
Carolina Cavalry. Its commanders were Colonels William C. Claiborne
and V. H. Taliaferro, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas D. Claiborne,
and Major Jesse H. Sikes.