1st Engineers Regiment





1st Engineers Regiment was organized at Richmond, Virginia, during the fall of 1863 with men from North Carolina and Virginia. In December about 250 of these men were repairing roads in the Richmond area. Later the unit served as prison guards, then repaired railroads and bridges. During the winter of 1864-1865 it built Bevill's Bridge over the Appomattox River about twenty-five miles above Petersburg and sent a pontoon bridge to the Richmond and Danville Railroad Crossing of the Staunton River. In preparation for the spring campaign, it readied another pontoon bridge for use at the site of Goode's Bridge over the Appomattox. Also it made a map showing the roads from Richmond and Petersburg to the several crossings of the Appomattox. The unit lost 2 men killed and 28 wounded during the war, and when the Army of Northern Virginia surrendered, 213 were present. Its commanders were Colonel Thomas M. R. Talcott, Lieutenant Colonel William W. Blackford, and Major Peyton Randolph.

Previous Page