5th (Walker's) Infantry Regiment

5th (Walker's) Infantry Regiment was organized at Memphis, Tennessee, in October, 1861, as the 40th Tennessee Infantry regiment. On February 25, 1862, its designation was changed to 5th Confederate Infantry as the unit contained men from Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Serving in the Western Department with 471 effectives in March, it was captured at Island No. 10 in April. After being exchanged, the men were assigned to other units from their native states. The field officers were Colonels C. C. Henderson and Lucius M. Walker, Lieutenant Colonels John A. Minter and West. Steever, and Major Hiram H. Higgins.

Previous Page