Leon Light Artillery was organized in the spring of 1862 with 79 officers and men. During March 1863 it contained 172 effectives and was divided into 2 companies. One became Kilcrease Artillery and the other continued to serve as the Leon Artillery. Assigned to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, this unit fought at Olustee, served in Florida, and in March 1865, was at Camp Sumter, Georgia, guarding prisoners. It was included in the surrender on May 10, 1865. Captains E. E. dyke and R. H. Gamble were in command.