Morton Confederates
Cpt. C. C. Henderson

This company was organized at Milton, Florida, in the spring of 1861.  They were ordered to report at Memphis Tennessee and were there mustered in as Co. C, of the 40th Tennessee Regiment, a regiment made up of four companies from Arkansas, four from Alabama, one from Kentucky and Henderson's company from Florida, under command of Col. L. M. Walker.  The regiment later became the 5th Confederate Infantry.  Co. C was stationed for some months at Fort Pillow, on the Mississippi River; from there they were ordered to New Madrid, Mo., where they did garrison dury in the latter part of February, 1862, in anticipation of the Federal advance.  After being under fire at New Madrid for some time, operations at the same time going on against Island No. 10, they were compelled to withdraw to the east side of the river, where the Confederate forces surrendered April 8, 1862.  Captain Henderson, Lieutenant McMillan and five of his men succeeded in making their escape into the river swamps and eventually reached Fort Pillow.  the rest of the command was imprisoned at Camp Butler, Ill., until September, 1862, when they were exchanged at Vicksburg, Miss.  The company never reorganized, its term of enlistment having expired, the men joining other commands

Previous Page