Alfred Eugene Jackson
Alfred Eugene Jackson was born in Davidson County, Tennessee, January 11, 1807. He received his education at Washington and Greeneville Colleges, and early began farming on the Nolichucky River in East Tennessee. He afterwards became a dealer in produce and manufactured goods. A man of indomitable energy, he was soon trading all over the South, using wagons and boats equally as means of transportation for his merchandise. His various enterprises, which included stores, mills, manufactories, and farms, ranged at one time from North Carolina to the Mississippi River. In 1861 Jackson entered Confederate service as a quartermaster with rank of major on the staff of General Zollicoffer, with whom he served until the latter's death at Mill Springs; and was subsequently a paymaster in Knoxville. He was appointed brigadier general to rank from February 9, 1863 and assigned to the command of an infantry brigade in the Department of East Tennessee. With these troops he participated in a number of minor engagements, including the capture of the 100th Ohio Infantry at Telford's Station, Tennessee, in September 1863. In this action he commanded 1,500-1,800 men. Virtually impoverished by the war, General Jackson rented land in Washington County, Virginia, in 1866, and undertook its cultivation with his own hands. He was subsequently issued a special pardon by President Johnson for kindnesses shown the latter's family during the war. His estates were gradually restored to him, and he was able to take up residence at Jonesboro, Tennessee, where he died, October 30, 1889, in his eighty-third year, and where he is buried.
Ref: Generals in Gray, Lives of the Confederate Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Printed by Louisiana State University Press, Baton Rouge and London.