Charles David Anderson

Charles David Anderson was born on May 22, 1827, near Stone Mountain in De Kalb County, Georgia, the son of William Robert and Annie (Coker) Anderson. His father, a farmer, was the son of a Revolutionary War major and descended from Welsh immigrants. Before the war he lived in Fort Valley in Houston County, as a planter, cotton merchant, slave-owner, justice of the county court (1857 to 1858), and mayor of Fort Valley.

At the start of the war Anderson, "a man of unsullied reputation and extensive popularity," was elected captain of Company C, 6th Georgia, the "Beauregard Volunteers." The 6th, part of Colquitt's Georgia brigade, fought in Virginia for the better part of the war. Anderson was promoted to major on September 17,1862, and elected lieutenant colonel on May 15,1863. At the Battle of Antietam Anderson was wounded and captured. After exchange, he fought at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, losing a finger on his left hand in the latter battle. After partially recovering from his wounds, he rejoined his regiment, now part of the Charleston, South Carolina, garrison. Resigning his Confederate army commission on January 20, 1864, because of wounds, Anderson was appointed by Governor Brown as his aide-de-camp. In the summer of 1864 he was elected colonel of the 5th Regiment of the Georgia Militia. Anderson served in the Atlanta campaign and opposed Sherman's March to the Sea. The Georgia militia division joined the Army of Tennessee after the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. At the Battle of Atlanta the militiamen advanced in conjunction with the attack of Cheatham's Corps, but did not become seriously engaged. For the remainder of the siege of Atlanta "Joe Brown's pets" (as the militiamen were derisively termed) manned the trenches about Atlanta. During the siege Anderson was unanimously elected brigadier general of the newly formed 3rd Brigade of the Georgia Militia. After the fall of the city the militia division was detached from the main army and confronted (from a distance) Sherman's advancing forces. On November 22, 1864, the militia division attacked an isolated Union infantry brigade near Griswoldville, Georgia. The veteran Union troops shot the militiamen to pieces as they charged. Leading his brigade, Anderson had his clothes riddled with bullets and his horse was shot out from under him; his coolness and precision in that unfortunate battle were marked. The brigade formed part of the Savannah garrison during that city's siege in December. After Sherman took Savannah, the brigade was sent to Augusta, Georgia, and finally ended the war guarding Macon. Anderson was elected, without his knowledge, to the state senate in late 1863 and served through 1865.

After the war General Anderson first ran a cotton warehouse and farm supply business in Macon. Both failed, and he returned to Fort Valley, where he served more or less continuously as county tax collector. General Anderson died in Fort Valley on February 22, 1901, and is buried there, in Oaklawn Cemetery.

Previous Page

Reference:  More Generals in Gray.  Bruce S. Allardice.  A companion volume to Generals in Gray.  Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge. LA.