Hinchie Parham Mabry

Hinchie Parham Mabry was born at Laurel Hill in Carroll County, Georgia, on October 27, 1829, the son of Hinchie Parham and Linnie (Williams) Mabry. His father, a native of North Carolina, was a veteran of the War of 1812. Mabry attended the University of Tennessee from 1849 to 1850, but had to leave school due to lack of funds. In 1851 Mabry moved to Jefferson, Texas, and became a merchant. He practiced law and was a state representative from 1856 to 1861.

Although an opponent of secession, Mabry raised the "Dead Shot Rangers," later Company B of the 3rd Texas Cavalry. He was elected captain of the rangers on June 13, 1861. The 3rd rode to Missouri, where on August 10, 1861, Mabry fought at the Battle of Wilson's Creek. In the fall of that year, during a scouting  expedition in Missouri, Mabry was shot through the arm. Although he recovered from his wounds in time to lead his company at the March 6 and 7, 1862, Battle of Pea Ridge, he bore a crippled arm and hand the rest of his life. The 3rd was transferred to Mississippi in April, 1862. On May 8, 1862, upon the regiment's reorganization, Mabry was elected lieutenant colonel. At the September 19, 1862, Battle of Iuka, Mabry was severely wounded and captured. After being exchanged in October, 1862, he was promoted to full colonel. Still suffering from his Iuka wound, Mabry returned to Texas to recuperate. In the summer of 1863 he rejoined the 3rd and was given temporary command of Brigadier General John W. Whitfield's brigade of Texas cavalry. During 1864 and 1865, Mabry led a Mississippi cavalry brigade in actions throughout northern and central Mississippi. Praised for being absolutely fearless and a strong disciplinarian, he was repeatedly recommended by his superiors for promotion. Mabry's most noted exploit was his cavalry's April, 1864, captured, near Yazoo City, Mississippi, of the Union gunboat Petrel. Mabry commanded a brigade in Lieutenant General Nathan B. Forrest's cavalry corps until the Army of Tennessee's 1864 invasion of Tennessee, when he was left behind to guard the army's line of supply. In March, 1865, Mabry was ordered to Louisiana to help conduct Trans-Mississippi troops to the east side of the Mississippi. On June 22, 1865, at Shreveport, Louisiana, he was paroled.

Returning to Jefferson, Mabry practiced law and was elected a judge. In 1866 he was elected delegate to the state constitutional convention. Mabry was also, less honorably, a leader in the local Ku Klux Klan affiliate (the "Knights of the Rising Sun") during Reconstruction. After one particularly notorious lynching, Mabry had to flee to Canada to escape prosecution. He relocated to Fort Worth in 1879, where he resided the rest of his life. Mabry died of an accidental pistol wound to the foot on March 21, 1884, in Sherman, Texas, and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Jefferson.

Wood, Heitman, SHSP, and CV list Mabry as a general. The first says he was appointed brigadier general from Texas in March, 1862. Wright's Texas in the War, 1861-1865 suggests that he was promoted by General E. Kirby Smith, the Trans-Mississippi Department commander, in 1864. It is a matter of record that Mabry was not in the Trans-Mississippi in 1864, and that he signed himself as colonel, commanding brigade, as late as January 6, 1865. It is possible, however, that Mabry received an otherwise unrecorded Kirby Smith promotion to general in the last days of the war.

Previous Page

Reference:  More Generals in Gray.  Bruce S. Allardice.  A companion volume to Generals in Gray.  Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge. LA.