James Green Martin
James Green Martin was born at Elizabeth City, North Carolina, February 14, 1819, and was graduated from the U. S. Military Academy in 1840. He rendered most distinguished service in the Mexican War, and his right arm was amputated as the result of a wound received at Churubusco, where he was brevetted major for gallantry. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Martin resigned his commission and was appointed adjutant general of the ten regiments of North Carolina state troops then being raised. In September 1861 he became major general of militia in charge of the defense of the entire state. His administrative service in this capacity was brilliantly successful, and allegedly resulted not only in North Carolina in the first year of war supplying more troops to the Confederate armies than any other state, but also in their being the best equipped. Requesting held duty, he was appointed brigadier general to rank from May 15, 1862, but for a reason not apparent in the records, he resigned on July 25. He was reappointed on August 11 to rank from the date of his first appointment, and was confirmed by the Senate on September 30, 1862. He was in command of the District of North Carolina, and was ordered to Petersburg in the summer of 1864. His bravery there was so conspicuous that at one time his soldiers carried him about on their shoulders giving cheers for "Old One Wing." His health broke down under the strain of the siege, and he finished out the war in command of the District of Western North Carolina. General Martin then took up the study of law and practiced in Asheville, North Carolina, until his death, October 4, 1878. He is buried there.
Ref: Generals in Gray, Lives of the Confederate Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Printed by Louisiana State University Press, Baton Rouge and London.