Louis Hébert

Headstones: Find-a-Grave

Brigadier-General Louis Hebert was born in Louisiana. He was a cadet at West Point from 1841 to 1845, when he was graduated as brevet second-lieutenant of engineers. His only service in the United States army was as assistant engineer in the construction of Fort Livingston, Barataria Island, Louisiana, 1845-46. He then resigned his commission and became a planter in Iberville parish. He was major of the Louisiana militia from 1847 to 1850, and colonel from 1858 to 1861; a member of the State senate from 1853 to 1855, and chief engineer of the State from 1855 to 1860. At the beginning of the civil war he entered the army of the Confederate States as colonel of the Third Louisiana infantry, which was a well-drilled and well-equipped organization made up chiefly of men from the northern part of the State, and was placed in the brigade of Gen. Ben McCulloch. In the battle of Wilson's Creek it was McCulloch's command that encountered Sigel. General McCulloch in his report of the fight with Sigel says: ''When we arrived near the enemy's battery we found that Reid's battery had opened upon it, and it was already in confusion. Advantage was taken of it and soon the Louisianians were gallantly charging among the guns, and swept the cannoneers away. Five guns were here taken.'' On the 7th of March, 1862, at the battle of Pea Ridge, while McCulloch and McIntosh were leading a charge which at first promised success, they were suddenly struck in flank by an overwhelming force of the enemy. McCulloch and Mclntosh were killed, and Hebert with a number of his officers and men were captured. On May 26, 1862, Colonel Hebert was commissioned as a brigadier-general, and after having been exchanged he led the second brigade in Little's division of Price's army, now in north Mississippi. At the battle of Iuka, Hebert's brigade bore the brunt of the attack by Rosecrans' two divisions. Reinforced by Martin's brigade, they drove the enemy back, capturing nine guns and bivouacking upon the ground which they had won. On account of the approach of heavy reinforcements to the enemy, Price retreated near daylight of the next morning. After this Hebert was for a time in command of Little's division. In brigade command he was at the battle of Corinth, and when Price returned to the Trans-Mississippi he was left under the command of General Pemberton, whose fortunes Hebert and his men shared in the battles and siege of Vicksburg. After the fall of that heroic city, Hebert's brigade was, as soon as exchanged, assigned to the army of Tennessee, while General Hebert was sent to North Carolina and put in charge of the heavy artillery in the Cape Fear department, under the command of Major-General Whiting. He continued to act as chief engineer of the department of North Carolina until the close of the war. After the return of peace, General Hebert went back to his home in Louisiana and resumed his old occupation of a planter, living in retirement and not entering into political affairs.

Previous Page

Ref: Generals in Gray, Lives of the Confederate Commanders by Ezra J. Warner.  Printed by Louisiana State University Press, Baton Rouge and London.


Following was taken from Find-a-Grave

Civil War Confederate Brigadier General. He graduated third in the class of 1845, at West Point, but resigned his commission two years later to take charge of his father's sugar plantations. At the outbreak of the Civil War, he was an officer of Louisiana Militia, a member of the State Senate and the State's chief engineer. He entered the Confederate Army as Colonel of the 3rd Louisiana Infantry, fought at Wilson's Creek and was captured with his command at the Battle of Elkhorn. After being prisoner exchanged, he was promoted to Brigadier General in May 1862. He commanded the 2nd Brigade of General Henry Little's Division in North Mississippi, taking part in the Battles of Iuka, Corinth, and Vicksburg. He was subsequently and until the end of the war, was placed in charge of the heavy artillery in Fort Fisher, North Carolina and acted as chief engineer of the Confederate War Department in that state. After the war, he edited newspapers and was a teacher in private schools in Iberville and St. Martin Parishes, Louisiana. In 2002, his remains were removed from the Hebert Family Cemetery, Cecilia, St. Martin Parish, Louisiana and reinterred at St. Joseph Catholic Church Cemetery in Cecilia, Louisiana. (bio by: John "J-Cat" Griffith)