Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson

Major General

Monuments: Find-a-Grave--Large Monument is his present location.

Previous Page

Reference: Alabama Department of Archives & History. Custodian of the original pictures. Confederate Officers photo album.

Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson, "Old Jack," "Old Blue-Light," was born in Clarksburg, (West) Virginia, on January 21, 1824. He was graduated from West Point in 1846, in a class which was to furnish twenty-four general officers to the United States and Confederate armies between 1861 and 1865. Having received the brevets of captain and major during the war with Mexico, he resigned his commission in 1852 to become an instructor at Virginia Military Institute. At the beginning of the war Jackson became a colonel of Virginia militia and was ordered to command at Harpers Ferry. In May J. E. Johnston superseded him there (relinquishing the post to the Union the next month), and Jackson was promoted brigadier general on June 17, 1861. After distinguished service at First Manassas—where General Barnard E. Bee gave the sobriquet "Stonewall" to him and his brigade. Jackson was promoted major general on October 7, 1861. He rapidly became a military celebrity. In November he was dispatched to the Shenandoah Valley, where he waged a magnificent campaign the following year against the three Federal armies that were threatening Richmond. In April 1862 Lee suggested that Jackson move against General Banks, with the idea of preventing McDowell's army from joining McClellan at Richmond. Jackson first defeated part of Fremont's army near Staunton, Virginia, on May 8. He then returned to the Valley to strike Banks' army, which was advancing from the north, at Front Royal and Winchester on May 23-25, and drove him across the Potomac. Fearing that Jackson would attack Washington, the Administration detached Shields from McDowell's army and sent him to cut off Jackson from the east, while Fremont attacked from the west. At this juncture, Jackson executed a remarkable tactical maneuver, defeating Fremont at Cross Keys on June 8 and Shields at Port Republic on June 9. He subsequently joined Lee against McClellan in the Seven Days battles around Richmond. His performance in the first of these battles was not outstanding. Jackson seems not to have been at his best unless he was in independent command. At any rate, he won new laurels at every succeeding engagement. His lightning like turning movement against General Pope in August 1862 was a crucial factor in the victory that followed at Second Manassas. Again, after capturing Harpers Ferry with its garrison of some twelve thousand men, Jackson saved Lee at Sharpsburg, when he learned that his chief had been surprised by a large Union force. Thereafter Lee reorganized the Army of Northern Virginia, and Jackson was promoted lieutenant general from October 10, 1862 and made commander of the 2nd Corps. In December 1862 he commanded the right wing in the victory at Fredericksburg. His career reached its high point in the justly famous flank march at Chancellorsville, where his savage assault on the Federal right threatened at one time to roll up Hooker's entire line against the fords of the Rapidan. Later the same night, May 2, 1863, he was wounded by elements of his own command, while making a reconnaissance with members of his staff. He died on May 10 from pneumonia, which developed after the amputation of his left arm. General Lee wrote of him with deep feeling: "He has lost his left arm; but I have lost my right arm."  General Jackson is buried in Lexington, Virginia.

Ref: Generals in Gray, Lives of the Confederate Commanders by Ezra J. Warner.  Printed by Louisiana State University Press, Baton Rouge and London.