Troup Light Artillery was organized at La Grange, Georgia, during the fall of 1861 with men from Troup County. This company was part of Cobb's Georgia Legion, but when ordered to Virginia it became an independent unit. It served in H.C. Cabell's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia. The battery fought in many conflicts from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, endured the long siege of Petersburg, and ended the war at Appomattox. One section reported 1 killed and 3 wounded out of 31 engaged at Crampton's Gap. The company sustained 9 casualties at Sharpsburg, 11 at Chancellorsville, and 7 at Gettysburg. Only 7 men surrended in April, 1865. It was commanded by Captains H.H. Carlton and M. Stanley.