Columbus Light Artillery was organized and mustered into Confederate service at Columbus, Georgia, during the early spring of 1862. Its members were from Russell and Muscogee counties, and it had about 115 men when it first served at Savannah. Later the unit was involved in various campaigns in Mississippi and in November, 1863, totalled 139 officers and men. It went on to fight in the battles for Atlanta and was with Hood in Northern Georgia and Tennessee. The company was then given muskets and converted to infantry until the close of the war. Serving in Mississippi, it surrendered on May 12, 1865. Its commanders were Captain Edward Croft and Alfred J. Young.