Macon Light Artillery, recruited in Bibb County, was organized at Macon, Georgia, during the summer of 1862. It remained on duty in its native state until the fall, then moved to Virginia where it saw action at Fredericksburg. Later the unit served in North Carolina and in the spring of 1864 returned to Virginia. Assigned to E. F. Moseley's and J. G. Blount's Battalion of Artillery, it participated in the fight at Drewry's Bluff, endured the hardships of the Petersburg siege, and ended the war at Appomattox. In June, 1864, it had 76 men fit for duty, but only 1 officer surrendered. The company was commanded by Captains H. N. Ells and C. W. Slaten.