Stephens Light Artillery was formed at Crawfordville, Georgia, in September, 1861, with 165 officers and men. Its members were from Taliaferro and Wilkes counties. It served in the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, then was assigned to J. Palmer's, J. W. Johnston's, and R. Cobb's Battalion of Artillery. The unit participated in the campaigns of the Army of Tennessee from Chattanooga to Nashville, then in 1865 aided in the defense of Mobile. During the fall of 1863 the 3rd Maryland Artillery Company was ordered to consolidate with this unit and in the spring of 1864 it totaled 108 effectives. It surrendered at Meridian, Mississippi, on May 10, 1865. Captain John B. Rowan was in command.