Terrell Light Artillery was formed during the
winter of 1861-1862 with men from Terrell County. It was attached
to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and
was active on the Georgia and South Carolina coast. Then during
December, 1864, the company was engaged in the defense of Savannah.
It later served in the North Carolina Campaign and surrendered
with the Army of Tennessee. Captains John W. Brooks and E. J.
Dawson were in command.
Troup Light Artillery was organized at La Grange, Georgia, during the fall of 1861 with men from Troup County. This company was part of Cobb's Georgia Legion, but when ordered to Virginia it became an independent unit. It served in H. C. Cabell's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia. The battery fought in many conflicts from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, endured the long siege of Petersburg, and ended the war at Appomattox. One section te ported 1 killed and 3 wounded out of 31 engaged at Crampton's Gap. The company sustained 9 casualties at Sharpsburg, 11 at Chancellorsville, and 7 at Gettysburg. Only 7 men surrendered in April, 1865. It was commanded by Captains H. H. Carlton and M. Stanley.