Chatham Light Artillery was formed at Savannah, Georgia, during the early spring of 1862 with men from Chatham County. Throughout the war it served in the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and saw action at Charleston, Olustee, James Island, and Waynesborough. Later it was involved in the defense of Savannah and a detachment was captured when Fort McAllister fell in December, 1864. The remaining men probably served in the campaign of the Carolinas and disbanded. Captains Joseph S. Claghorn and John F. Wheaton were in command.