8th Cavalry Regiment was organized in July, 1864, by consolidating seven companies of the 62nd Regiment and three of the 20th Battalion Georgia Partisan Rangers. It served in J. Dearing's Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia and was active in the Petersburg siege north and south of the James River and around Appomattox. The unit cut through the Federal lines at Appomattox Court House and disbanded April 11, 1865. Company G was attached to the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia, saw action in the Battle of Bentonville, and surrendered with the Army of Tennessee. Its commanders were Colonel Joel R. Griffin, Lieutenant Colonel John W. Millen, and Major William G. Thomson.