4th (Avery's) Cavalry Regiment was formed with eleven companies in January, 1863, using Avery's 23rd Georgia Cavalry Battalion as its nucleus. It served for a time with the Conscript Department in Tennessee, then was assigned to J. J. Morrison's, C. C. Crews', and Iverson's Brigade. The regiment participated in the Chickamauga, Knoxville, and Atlanta Campaigns, skirmished in Northern Georgia and East Tennessee, and took part in the defense of Savannah. In January, 1865, the unit was reorganized and called the 12th Cavalry. It went on to fight in the Carolinas and surrendered with the Army of Tennessee. The field officers were Colonel Isaac W. Avery, Lieutenant Colonel William L. Cook, and Majors D. Jackson Owen and Augustus R. Stewart.