20th Battalion Partisan Rangers was organized during the summer of 1862 with three companies, later increased to seven. Some of its members were from Liberty County. The unit served on the Georgia coast until the early spring of 1864 when it was assigned to P. M. B. Young's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It participated in The Wilderness Campaign, the battles about Cold Harbor, and in various conflicts south of the James River. In July, 1864, the battalion was ordered to disband. Three companies merged into the 8th and three into the 10th Georgia Cavalry Regiments and one into the Jeff Davis Mississippi Cavalry Legion. Its commanders were Lieutenant Colonel John M. Millen and Majors Samuel B. Spencer and William G. Thomson.