Cherokee Light Artillery was organized at Canton, Georgia, in August, 1861, with men from Cherokee County. The unit was active in Kentucky, then joined the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. It endured the hardships of Vicksburg and was captured on July 4, 1863. After the exchange it was assigned to Palmer's and Johnston's Battalion of Artillery and participated in the campaigns of the Army of Tennessee from Missionary Ridge to Bentonville. About 15 men, serving as infantry, were included in the surrender on April 26, 1865. The company was commanded by Captains Max Van Den Corput and John G. Yeiser.