1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles
1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles was organized at
Old Fort Wayne, Delaware District, Cherokee Nation, in July, 1861.
For a time it served in the Department of the Indian Territory,
then was assigned to D. H. Cooper's and Watie's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi
Department. The unit was active in the engagements at Elkhorn
Tavern, Old Fort Wayne, Prairie Grove, Elk Creek, and Mazzard
Prairie. About 200 officers and men saw action at Cabin Creek
in September, 1864, then surrendered on June 23, 1865. Its commanders
were Colonels James M. Bell and Stand Watie; Lieutenant Colonels
Robert C. Parks, Thomas F. Taylor, Joseph F. Thompson, and Clem
N. Vann; and Majors E. C. Bondinot and E. J. Howland.