1st Creek Infantry Regiment
1st Creek Infantry Regiment was organized near
Eufaula, Creek Nation, in August, 1861, and served as mounted
infantry. During May, 1862, about 900 officers and men were present,
and for a time the unit was assigned to the Department of the
Indian Territory. It then was attached to D. H. Cooper's, and
Watie's Brigade in the Trans-Mississippi Department. The regiment
saw action at Elkhorn Tavern and Old Fort Wayne, and later raided
the Federals in the Indian Territory. In September, 1864, about
125 men fought at Cabin Creek and on June 23, 1865, surrendered
with the other Indian troops. Its commanders were Colonel D. N.
McIntosh, Lieutenant Colonels Samuel Chekote and W. R. McIntosh,
and Majors J. Derrysaw and James McHenry.