3rd Cavalry Regiment Harrison's

 

A B C D E F G H I K

Organization: Organized by the increase of the 15th Cavalry Battalion to a regiment in the fall of 1863. Surrendered by General E. K. Smith, commanding Trans-Mississippi Department, on May 26, 1865.

First Commander: Isaac F. Harrison, COL

Field Officers: E.S. McCall, MAJ; Francis W. Moore, LTC [resigned ?]; William R. Purvis, LTC

Assignments: District of West Louisiana, Trans-Mississippi Department (Nov 63); Harrison’s Cavalry Brigade, District of West Louisiana, Trans-Mississippi Department (Nov 63-Sep 64); Harrison’s Cavalry Brigage, 1st Corps, Trans-Mississippi Department (Sep-Oct 64); 3rd (Harrison’s-Gray’s) Louisiana Cavalry Brigade, 1st Louisiana Cavalry Division, 1st Corps, Trans-Mississippi Department (Dec 64-May 65)

Battles: Red River Campaign (March-June 1864); Fort DeRussy [detachment Company H] (March 14, 1864); Bayou Des Cedars (April 17, 1864); Hadnot’s Plantation (May 1, 1864)

From Bergeron, LA Confed. Units, 44:

"This regiment was organized in the fall of 1863 by the addition of three independent companies to the 15th Cavalry Battalion. The regiment operated innortheast Louisiana near the Mississippi River during the remainder of the war. In January, 1864, the men assisted in crossing weapons and other supplies westward over the river for use by the Confederate soldiers in the Trans-Mississippi Department. Several companies participated in skirmishes with Union gunboats on the Ouachita and Black rivers in early March, 1864. Colonel Harrison led a brigade made up of the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Cavalry regiments during the Red River Campaign, March-May 1864. The regiment skirmished with the Union gunboats and transports as they moved up the river toward Shreveport and again as they retreated toward Alexandria. An enemy force attacked the brigade’s camp near St. Maurice on Bayou Des Cedars on April 17 but were driven back. On April 24, the brigade made a rush into Pineville. An enemy cavalry force moved against the brigade, but Harrison attacked the enemy forces atHadnot’s Plantation on May 1 and drove them back. The regiment continued to harass enemy navy vessels south of Alexandria on May 8 and 9. Harrison’s brigade returned to northeast Louisiana after the Red River Campaign. In September and October, the men accompanied the infantry of the Army of Western Louisiana on a campaign into southern Arkansas. By December, the brigade had returned to the Monroe area. From January, 1865, until the end of the war, the regiment occupied camps at Monroe, Harrisonburg, Columbia, and Alexandria. Frequently, the companies were divided and operated in different areas. The men saw very little combat except with small enemy raiding parties moving inland from Vidalia or Vicksburg, Mississippi. By mid-May, 1865, many of the men of the regiment had deserted and gone to their homes. Formal surrender of the regiment occurred May 26, 1865, with the rest of the troops in the Trans-Mississippi Department."

Previous Page