7th Louisiana Cavalry Regiment
[Originally 4th Regiment Volunteer Cavalry]
Field & Staff
Organization: Organized as the 4th Cavalry
Regiment at Moundville on March 13, 1864. Reorganized as the 7th Cavalry
Regiment in October 1864. Surrendered by General E.K. Smith, commanding
Trans-Mississippi Department, on May 26, 1865.
First Commander: Louis Bush, COL [appointed presiding officer of military court in Shreveport, January 7, 1865]
Field Officers: James D. Blair, LTC; Louis A. Bringier, LTC, COL [January 7, 1865]; [Gabriel L. FUSILIER, MAJ (April 1865)]; William MOUTON, MAJ; A.L. Pitzer, MAJ
Assignments: Unattached, District of West Louisiana, Trans-Mississippi Department (Mar-May 64); VINCENTís Louisiana Cavalry Brigade, District of West Louisiana, Trans-Mississippi Department (Aug-Sep 64); VINCENTís Cavalry Brigade, 1st Corps, Trans-Mississippi Department (Sep-Oct 64); 1st (VINCENTís-Brentís) Louisiana Cavalry Brigade, 1st Louisiana Cavalry Division, 1st Corps, Trans-Mississippi Department (Dec 64-May 65)
Battles: Red River Campaign (Mar-Jun 64); Crumpís Hill (April 2, 1864); Wilsonís Farm (April 7, 1864)
Bergeron, LA Confed. Units, 51:
"Major General Richard Taylor authorized the formation of this regiment to operate against Jayhawkers in southwestern Louisiana. Many of the men who joined it were deserters from infantry units, principally the 10th Louisiana (Yellow Jackets) Infantry Battalion. Colonel Louis Bush mustered in the regiment as the 4th Louisiana Cavalry on March 13, 1864, at Moundville, though its organization remained incomplete. The men retreated to Natchitoches in advance of General Nathaniel Banksís Union army, which had started its Red River Campaign. The regiment did picket duty between Natchitoches and Alexandria and participated in skirmishes at Crumpís Hill, April 2, and at Wilsonís Farm, April 7. About April 11, the regiment accompanied the 2nd Louisiana Cavalry on a raid into the Opelousas and Attakapas region to clear out small bands of enemy soldiers and groups of Jayhawkers. The men had returned to the Red Riverarea by April 22, when they fired on a Union transport about fourteen miles southeast of Alexandria. After a few days in that area, the regiment returned to south Louisiana to recruit and perform outpost duty. From June, 1864, until the end of the war, the men remained in the latter duty, occasionally engaging in campaigns against Jayhawkers or in picket duty near the Atchafalaya River. In October, 1864, the regiment reorganized and changed its designation to the 7thLouisiana Cavalry. Small parties of the regiment, particularly from Companies A and C, made raids into the Bayou Lafourche region in late 1864 and early 1865. These raids had as their objective the acquisition of horses and supplies as well as the harassment of the enemy. The majority of the regiment occupied a camp near Alexandria in May, 1865, when the Trans-Mississippi Department surrendered; but some men received their paroles at Franklin."