aka: 17th Infantry Battalion
Organization: Organized with three infantry
and one cavalry company from Stewart’s Legion at Camp Moore on May 15, 1862.
Company D was assigned July 1862. Surrendered at Port Hudson, Louisiana on July
8, 1863. Paroled in July 1863. Company A was mounted in May 1864 and was
subsequently assigned to Gober’s Mounted Infantry Regiment. The battalion itself
was never reorganized following its exchange.
First Commander: Samuel Boyd, LTC [temporary] [retired because of wounds received August 5, 1862]
Field Officers: Thomas Bynum, MAJ [resigned May 2, 1863]; [Bolling R. Chinn, MAJ, acting (May 2, 1863)]
Assignments: Department of Southern Mississippi and East Louisiana (Jun-Jul 62); 3rd Sub-district, District of the Mississippi, Department #2 (Jul 62); 1st Sub-district, District of the Mississippi, Department #2 [detachment] (Jul 62); Allen’s Brigade, Ruggles’ Division, Breckinridge’s Command, District of the Mississippi, Department #2 (Jul-Aug 62); 1st Sub-district, District of the Mississippi, Department #2 (Aug-Oct 62); Department of Southern Mississippi and East Louisiana (Oct 62); Gregg’s Brigade, 3rd Military District, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana (Oct 62-Apr 63); Miles’ Brigade, 3rd Military District, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana (Apr 63-Jul 64); District of Southwest Mississippi and East Louisiana, Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana [Company A; mounted] (May-Jul 64)
Battles: Baton Rouge (August 5, 1862); Port Hudson Campaign (May-July 1863); Port Hudson Siege (May-July 1863)
From Bergeron, LA Confed. Units, 162, 172-73:
"Companies A, B, and C and Jones’s cavalry company were mustered into service as part of Stewart’s Legion. They moved to Jackson, Mississippi, where General Mansfield Lovell ordered them to Camp Moore. There the companies were organized as the 9th Louisiana Battalion on May 15, 1862. In early July, Company D was added to the battalion but remained on duty at Ponchatoula. The other companies of the battalion fought in the Battle of Baton Rouge, August 5; 5 of their men were killed, 27 were wounded, and 17 were missing. Men of the 6th Michigan Infantry captured the battalion’s flag during the fighting. After the battle, the men camped on the Comite River. They occupied Baton Rouge when the enemy evacuated the town late in the month. Company D joined the battalion around this time. When the Federals reoccupied the town in December, the battalion moved to Port Hudson. There the men did guard and picket duty and assisted in the construction of earthworks. One source indicates the battalion was stationed at Clinton for a brief period early in 1863. In early May, 1863, the battalion left Port Hudson on its way to Jackson, Mississippi, but returned when the Federals began moving against Port Hudson. The men fought in the siege,May 23-July 9, and occupied part of the trenches on the Confederate right flank. Many of the men deserted during the siege. After the surrender, the men went home on parole. The cavalry company had remained outside the lines during the siege, and it became part of a temporary cavalry battalion commanded by Captain John B. Cage. In early 1864, the remnants of the battalion were consolidated into one company, mounted, and attached to Gober’s Louisiana Regiment Mounted Infantry."
"Very little substantial information on the origins of this unit exists. It appears that in February, 1862, General Leonidas Polk authorized Captain R. A. Stewart, commander of the Pointe Coupee Artillery at Columbus, Kentucky, to return to Louisiana and raise some infantry and cavalry to add to his artillery companies. Steward claimed later that he recruited eight infantry companies and a cavalry squadron and reported for duty at Fort Pillow, Tennessee. Because of the evacuation of Columbus and the resulting confusion, Stewart said, he had to turn over 'to other commanders' the infantry companies and one cavalry company. On May 23, General John B. Villepique, commander at Fort Pillow, ordered Stewart back to Louisiana to gather the recruits mustered for his legion. Stewart mustered in three infantry companies and one cavalry company and sent them to Abbeville, Mississippi, where Villepique camped after abandoning Fort Pillow. At Jackson, Mississippi, General Mansfield Lovell stopped the companies, and soon General Earl Van Dorn ordered them to Camp Moore. There they were organized as the 9th Louisiana Infantry Battalion. ... On July 2, Stewart resigned as commander of his legion, because he feared he would never succeed in keeping any additional companies he might raise."