(Click on picture for a larger one)
Slocum Avenue, south Culp's Hill. Gettysburg
1st Md. Changed to
400 strength in battle
The First Maryland
On the morning of July 3rd
2nd Infantry Regiment, often called 1st or 2nd Battalion, formerly the 1st Infantry Battalion, was organized at Winchester, Virginia in September, 1862. It served in Steuart's Brigade, the Maryland Line, then H.H. Walker's and McComb's Brigade. The unit fought at Gettysburg, served in the Department of Richmond, and saw action at Cold Harbor. It continued the fight in the trenches of Petersburg and ended the war at Appomattox. The unit lost forty percent of the 400 engaged at Gettysburg, had 286 effectives in May, 1864, and surrendered 3 officers and 59 men. The field officers were Lieutenant Colonel James R. Herbert and Major William W. Goldsborough.