Jefferson Light Artillery was organized at Fayette, Mississippi, in May, 1861, with men from Jefferson County. There it entered Confederate service with about 90 officers and men. It fought at Shiloh and in the Kentucky Campaign, then was assigned to S.C. Williams' and J.D. Myrick's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Tennessee. The battery participated in many battles of the army from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, moved with Hood into Tennessee, and was active in North Carolina. This unit had 8 wounded of the 70 at Shiloh, 2 wounded at Perryville , 6 wounded at Murfreesboro, and 1 killed and 2 wounded at Chickamauga. In December, 1863, it totalled 77 effectives, had 55 present in April, 1864, and surrendered with fewer than 40. Captains William L. Harper and Putnam Darden were in command.