Jackson Light Artillery was formed in February, 1862 with men from Jackson County. Many of its members had served in the Missouri State Guard. The unit moved east of the Mississippi River with 70 effectives and fought at Corinth and Hatchie Bridge. Later it was assigned to Green's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. It participated in the long and difficult Vicksburg siege and was captured on July 4, 1863. After being exchanged the company never returned to full strength but served in the District of the Gulf and at times was united with the Saint Louis Missouri Artillery in H. C. Semple's Battalion. It disbanded during the spring of 1865. Captains William Lucas and Schuyler Lowe were in command.