Saint Louis Light Artillery was organized during the spring of 1862 with men who had served in the Missouri State Guard. It moved east of the Mississippi River and fought at luka where 1 man was wounded of the 52 engaged. The unit then was engaged at Corinth and Hatchie Bridge and later was assigned to Green's Brigade in the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. It participated in the long Vicksburg Campaign and was captured on July 4, 1863. After being exchanged, the small company served in the District of the Gulf and at times was united with the Jackson Missouri Light Artillery in H. C. Semple's Battalion. Early in 1865 it disbanded. Captain William E. Dawson was in command.