8th (Burns') Infantry Regiment

8th (Burns') Infantry Regiment, formerly Hunter's 2nd Regiment, was organized in September, 1862. The unit served in General Parson's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department, and fought at Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, and Helena where it lost 14 killed, 82 wounded, and 67 missing. On July 6, 1863, it contained 467 effectives and later was re-designated the 11th Missouri Regiment. Its commanders were Colonel Simon P. Burns, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas H. Murray, and Major James Phillips.

Previous Page