Sampson Light Artillery was organized during the spring of 1864 at Wilmington, North Carolina. The unit contained about 130 officers and men, and most were recruited in Sampson County. It served in the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia and took an active part in the defense of Fort Fisher. In January, 1865, the fort and most of the men were captured. Captain Abner A. Moseley was in command.