59th Regiment Volunteers -- 4th Cavalry was
formed during August, 1862, Garysburg, North Carolina. Its companies
were from the counties of Anson, New Hanover, Caswell, Hertford,
Cabarrus, Bertie, Currituck, Wilson, Cleveland, and Northampton.
Two of these companies had been transferred from the 12th Battalion
North Carolina Cavalry. The unit served under the command of General
Robertson, L.S. Baker, James B. Gordon, J. Dearing, Roberts, and
Barringer. It skirmished in the Goldsboro-Kinston area of North
Carolina, then moved north and joined the Army of Northern Virginia.
The 4th Cavalry took an active part in the conflicts at Culpeper
Court House, Brandy Station, Upperville, Aldie, Fairfield, Hagerstown
, Jack's Shops, Wilson's Farm, White Oak Road, and Five Forks.
It had about 500 effectives at Gettysburg and surrendered 40 on
April 9, 1865. The field officers were Colonels Dennis D. Ferebee
and Virginius D. Groner, Lieutenant Colonels Rufus Barringer and
Edward Cantwell, and Major James M. Mayo.
12th Battalion Partisan Rangers was organized in May, 1863, with three companies. Two were from Northampton and one from Bertie and Hertford counties. The unit skirmished in North Carolina, then moved to Virginia and on July 11, 1864, Companies A and B merged into the 59th North Carolina Regiment-4th Cavalry, and Company C transferred to the 16th North Carolina Cavalry Battalion. Lieutenant Colonel Samuel J. Wheeler was in command.