13th Infantry Battalion

Maj. General D. H. Hill issued Special Orders No. 56, Department of North Carolina on May 19, 1863, combining four companies of independent local railroad guards into the 13th Battalion, N. C. Infantry. Captain Clement G. Wright, who had previously served as aide-de- camp on General Robertson's staff and in 63rd Regiment, N. C. Troops (5th N. C. Cavalry), was promoted to Major and placed in command of the battalion. In some reports, the battalion was called "Wright's Battalion" and some early reports referred to it as "4th Battalion, N. C. Troops" but this seems in error -- the official designation for the organization seems always to have been 13th Battalion, N. C. Infantry. William C. Jordan was transferred from 41st Regiment N. C. Troops (3rd N. C. Cavalry), promoted to 2nd Lieutenant, transferred to Field and Staff of the battalion and appointed "Assistant Commissary of Subsistence". Willie B. Wright wastransferred from Company D of the Battalion and promoted to Sergeant Major. John H. Upperman was promoted to Quartermaster Sergeant on the Field and Staff of the battalion. It is unclear whether the unit was ever tendered for Confederate service -- it is more likely that it remained in State service.

Rosters
(Surnames)

A-B

C-E

F-H

I-L

M-O

P-R

S-V

W-Z

COMPANY A -- This company was organized as Captain Joseph W. Latta's Company (Railroad Guards), N. C. Troops, in Orange County on November 20, 1861. Hillsborough, NC in Orange County was one of the major stops on the North Carolina Railroad, which ran from Raleigh through Durham, Hillborough, High Point (so named because it was the highest point geographically on the railway) to Charlotte. This company was assigned to the 13th Battalion on 19th May 1863 and designated Company A.

COMPANY B -- This company was enlisted in Nash and Franklin Counties as Captain Possum Nichols's Company, Raleigh and Gaston Railroad Guard, N. C. Troops. The Raleigh and Gaston Railroad ran north from Raleigh to near Weldon (but, oddly enough, not joining the Wilmington-Weldon or Weldon-Petersburg railroads), east of a line generally as followed by modern U.S. 1 highway. Date of organization is not reported. The Company was assigned to the 13th Battalion on 19th May 1863 and designed Company B.

COMPANY C -- This company was organized in Wayne and Lenoir Counties as Captain Guilford W. Cox's Independent Company of Bridge Guards, N. C. Troops. The Atlantic and North Carolina Railroad ran from Raleigh to Goldsboro and through Lenoir county to New Berne and Morehead City. The eastern end of this railroad was occupied by Union troops for most of the War and Confederate troops pulled up rails and cross ties for most of the line east of Kinston. The Company was assigned to 13th Battalion on 19th May 1863 and designated Company C.

COMPANY D -- This company was originally organized in Wilmington and mustered into Confederate States service on January 22, 1862 and designated as Captain John L. Cantwell's Company, N. C. Volunteers, Wilmington Railroad Guard. The Company was assigned to guard the Wilmington-Manchester Railroad as far as the South Carolina border and the Wilmington- Weldon Railroad, including the Roanoke River bridge and the junction with the Weldon-Petersburg Railroad. On April 15, 1862, Captain Cantwell and thirty-seven other members of the Company were assigned to 51st Regiment, North Carolina Troops. William Freeman was captain of the company after this time. The headquarters of the Company remained at Wilmington until May- June, 1862 when it was moved to Goldsboro and referred to as Company A, Wilmington-Weldon Railroad Guards, N.C. Infantry. The Company was assigned to 13th Battalion, N.C. Troops on 19th May 1863 and designated Co. D.

Previous Page