67th Infantry Regiment completed its organization in January, 1864, near Kinston, North Carolina. The unit contained one cavalry and nine infantry companies, and totalled about 625 officers and men. Its members were from Craven, Wilson, Jones, Duplin, Pitt, and Wayne counties. Attached to the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia, it skirmished around New Bern and Kinston, then disbanded near Stantonsburg on April 28, 1865. Colonel John N. Whitford, Lieutenant Colonel Rufus W. Wharton, and Major Edward Whitford were in command.