Confederate Quartermaster General's Department
The Confederate Quartermaster Department was organized by Act of Congress 26 February 1861. A Quartermaster General, with the rank of colonel, headed the Department. Even then, logisticians and property managers were comparatively low graded. He was supported by four Assistant Quartermasters graded as majors, and as many assistants as required at the rank of captain. Colonel Abraham Charles Myers, for whom Ft. Myers, FL is named, was appointed as the first Quartermaster General. Myers was appointed Quartermaster after lobbying for the position. President Jefferson Davis offered the position to several others but none wanted the job. Myers had spent most of his twenty-five year career as a first lieutenant artillery officer, so he was inadequately prepared for the task he had been selected to perform.
Myers originally asked for a budget of $128 million to support an army of 100,000 men. Unfortunately, the Confederate government did not practice sound Requirements Determination in estimating its budgetary needs. By the summer of 1861, his budget would be cut to $39 million and support requirements would double. He established his headquarters in Richmond at an old warehouse and requisitioned more warehouse and administrative space, as the bureau increased in size. Due to the War being fought on many fronts, he appointed assistants in Charleston, Montgomery, New Orleans and San Antonio, and tasked them with purchasing military equipment and supplies. He established regional depots to support armies operating throughout the Confederacy. Since the Confederacy had limited supplies, he envisioned importing much of the equipment and supplies needed, and placed emphasis on establishing receiving points at southern ports. By July 1861, the army grew to 198 regiments and thirty-four battalions.
Although an experienced supply officer, Myers was overwhelmed and Army resupply became hopelessly encumbered. Davis relieved him in 1863.