Baxter's-Freeman's-Huggins' Battery was organized at Camp Harris, Nashville, Tennessee, in May, 1861. The unit contained 73 effectives in April, 1862, served in Tennessee, moved to Alabama, then returned to Tennessee, moved to Alabama, then returned to Tennessee. Here it was active at Parker's Cross Roads , Thompson's Station, and Brentwood. Later it fought at Chickamauga and for a time was assinged to F.H. Robertson's Battalion of Wheeler's Cavalry Corps. The battery went on to participate in the defense of Savannah and the campaign of the Carolinas. During February, 1864, there were 77 men present for duty, and the company was included in the surrender of the Army of Tennessee. Its captains were Edward D. Baxter, Samuel L. Freeman, and Amariah L. Huggins.