Lynch's Battery was organized at New Market, Jefferson County, Tennessee, in December, 1861. It contained men from Jefferson, Cocke, Greene, Washington, and Sullivan counties. The unit served as heavy artillery at Vicksburg and was captured on July 4, 1863. After being exchanged and reorganized as light artillery, it was assigned to General Vaughn's Brigade, Department of East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. Many of the men were killed, wounded, or captured at Marion, Virginia, and the remaining few disbanded at Christiansburg, Virginia, on April 12, 1865. Its commander was Captain John P. Lynch.