Rice's Battery was organized at Memphis, Tennessee, in May, 1861, as Company A, 38th Tennessee Infantry Regiment. After the Battle of Shiloh it was reorganized as a battery of heavy artillery. Later it served in Forrest's Cavalry as light artillery and fought at Brice's Cross Roads. It continued with Forrest during Hood's Campaign, moved to Mississippi, then was sent to Mobile. On May 4, 1865, it was included in the surrender of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. However, some of its members had been transferred to Morton's Battery in Mississippi and 9 men surrendered with that unit. Its commander was Captain Thomas W. Rice.