15th (Stewart's) Cavalry Regiment [also called 14th Regiment] was organized in August, 1863, using Dawson's Tennessee Partisan Rangers Battalion as its nucleus. Its companies were from Dyer, Haywood, Gibson, and Fayette counties. The regiment was stationed at Pikeville, Mississippi, then was assigned to Colonel R.V. Richardson's Brigade. Later it skirmished in Tennessee and in February, 1864, was broken up. Four companies were transferred to other Tennessee units and the remaining companies merged into the 15th (Stewart's-Logwood's) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. The field officers were Colonel Francis M. Stewart, Lieutenant Colonels William A. Dawson and L.M. Marshall, and Major Elijah P. Kirk.